Hey guys, sorry it’s been awhile! I’ve been crazy busy trying to enroll for school again so that I can return for the fall semester (it’s been so long, I’m nervous). I’ve also been trying to enjoy these early spring days as much as possible since it’s been so nice out (hello 40 degrees haha).
Something I’ve been meaning to do for awhile is purchase a monthly beauty box. I figured since I have finally paid off all of my bills and rent is paid a month in advance, now’s the time to go in for one. This process was fairly easy, I filed through all of my options (Ipsy, allure, birchbox.. all great choices) and narrowed them down by price point and my own personal tastes.
I chose Allure Sample Society for two reasons. The first is that it’s only 15 dollars a month, affordable (and I was able to score an extra $5 from my first box by using the promo code on the website). The second reason was that I love trying new products and I figured that coming from a magazine, these recommendations would be the perfect mix of trendy items and products that will be around for awhile -because nothing’s worse than finding something you love and then having it be unavailable after a month!
My first box came via FedEx about 6 days after I ordered it, not bad since I placed my order on a Friday. It was so much fun opening that shiny red box to see all of my gifts, and I’ve loved experimenting with them ever since.
Here’s What Came Inside
- An Allure Beauty Box pamphlet describing all of the products inside. This was great because not only did it tell you basic information about all of the products like prices and ingredients, but it also highlights the “pro’s” and “con’s” of each item.
- Juice Beauty Green Apple Age Defy Moisturizer. I LOVE this product already. Retail cost is $45-which may seem a little pricey-but is so worth it! The smell was nothing special but the consistency was perfect, not too thick but definitely moisturizing enough for these “in between” months. I layered mine after my Clinique 3-Step and went to sleep, when I woke up I had THE most amazing glow to my skin. It also promises to brighten and smooth skin.
- Benefit Roller Lash Mascara. This super-glossy black mascara runs for $24 and is worth the price. It’s unique want enables it to thicken the root of your lashes (place the wand at the base of your lashes and wiggle one or two times-pull through) as well as lengthening and curling them for the perfect lash. My lashes are naturally curly therefore most “curling” formulas do little for me, but this mascara managed to make them longer and more defined as well, and the quick drying formula makes for no flakes!
- Oscar Blandi Pronto Texture & Volume Spray. This is a dry texturing spray mixed with a dry shampoo and runs for $24. It has an light-powdery scent, and gives hair major volume, just keep in mind a little goes a long way! For my naturally wavy hair, it gave great body and wave and when concentrated on the root gave great volume as well. They recommend taking “morning after hair”, spraying it at the roots, and blow- drying upside down to remove oil and give body. I haven’t tried that move just yet but am dying to!
- Malin and Goetz Mojito Lip Balm. This is by far my favorite product of the box. No matter how I’ve tried to drink 8 oz of water a day and use a lip balm and scrub religiously, I still have managed to keep chapped lips for the majority of the winter. This amazing balm is light-not stick- and restores the fatty acids in your lips giving them new life an moisture. AMAZING. The only concern is that it doesn’t really have a strong “mojito” scent, I barely noticed it. Then again, that’s not really a bad thing in my opinion.
- Cargo Essential Lip Gloss. So I’ll admit I’m not really a “gloss girl” as I’ve yet to find one that isn’t goopy and has staying power. This gloss is very flattering. They provided a sheer shimmery color that has got to look universally good on everyone. The only downside for me is that it was still a smidge too thick (i.e. sticky) but I’m very picky. Still worth a try!