Okay guys, I have a secret: I am TERRIBLE when it comes to getting my hair cut. One could argue its unacceptable the time that has past since my last time (2 years!), especially since i used to work ata hairdresser shop. Call it bad timing, or a bit of anxiety, but I just can’t seem to find my way into that stylists chair.
Thankfully, I have good, stong, shiny hair. I also have a small army of hair products stored in every nook and cranny of my house. But my true secret? I use DIY and basic home ingredients often and find they work just as well (if not better) than the stuff the pros use.
So here are the best hair products hair that you probably already have in your kitchen.
1. Baking Soda. Sodium bicarbonate is an amazing cleanser and exfoliant, which makes for a perfect natural clarifying shampoo. Just add a tablespoon to a drop of shampoo and massage into scalp for a treatment that will remove product buildup. Rinse and you’re done.
2. Apple cider vinegar. This is my favorite product because it makes hair soft and shiny. The acetic acid helps eliminate product residue and oil and wipe out bacteria making this product also great for those with dandruff. Mix 2 tablespoons vinegar with a cup of water, douse hair in the shower with mixture and let sink in for one minute, rinse and condition.
3. Olive oil. This rich oil makes for an intensive moisturizing treatment. Its fatty acids coat hair, restoring moisture and protecting against damage. Warm a tablespoon until ita warm (not hot), apply to hair, cover with a shower cap, and sit for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water, shampoo and condition.
4. Tea tree oil. This antifungal is popping up in shampoo and conditioners everywhere, and for a good reason. Tea tree oil helps eliminate bacteria, dandruff, and flakes. Add a few drops to shampoo, massage in, and sit for 5 minutes before rinsing.
5. Eggs. What makes these good for you on the inside (protein, amino acids) will also help restore strength and shine to your hair. This can help prevent split ends and smooth texture. Add one egg with a drop of shampoo, mix into hair and sit for 5 minutes before rinsing well.